July 18, 2006 :: The memo I didn't send

On Sunday night, I was cleaning out my phone. I rarely throw away or completely erase anyone's phone number, because I figure I never know when it might come in handy, but that doesn't mean they need to be in my phone. I like to keep my phone book under 100 entries, so I can scroll through it easier. Everybody who doesn't need to be in the phone directory goes into a scratch file or something on my Palm for long term storage.

Anyway, I deleted a few people whose numbers no longer needed to be in the phone. One was a girl I went to lunch with once, called twice thereafter and hadn't heard from her since. I know a brushoff when I see one, so I deleted her number and kept it moving. I also deleted the number of a friend who I had always flirted around with... rather, we flirted around with each other. But then a while back she told me she was engaged to be married, and I figured it was best to let things go. So I deleted her number too.

Both of these people contacted me out of the blue on Monday. The lunch dater apologized for being all held up at work for days on end, and said she'd call again. The flirt... well, she popped up on IM (forgot to delete that one) and wanted to know how I was doing. I wasn't at my desk at the time, so I didn't get to find out why she'd contacted me. Oh well...