July 05, 2006 :: Blown away

I survived Hurricane Independence. Actually, it was a ferocious thunderstorm that lasted probably about 25 minutes, but it sure felt like being in a hurricane. I was out at Hain's Point at a friend's family barbecue, enjoying some ribs and potato salad and talking enough smack so that I could whoop whoever was left on the table when it was my turn to play dominoes.

Being that this was a standard black folk production, there was all manner of liquor hidden up in coolers and what not. So when we saw the Park Police roll a truck up on the grass and pull the nose right up on the family barbecuing next to us (and they had tents!), we scurried to hide stuff. I laughed because a table of 20 previously quite loud black people had become eerily quiet, and I told them they all looked guilty.

Turns out the Park Police had come to warn us that there was a storm coming (which I already knew), and that we had roughly an hour (which I didn't know, thought we had more time) before it was going to start hailing on us (which I definitely didn't know). I don't understand the bizarro weather patterns out here on the east coast... back where I am from, frozen watear in any form does not fall from the sky in summer months when the temperature is over 80 degrees. Or even over 40 degrees. At any rate, we debated what we were going to do, and then as we saw the storm rolling in over the river (and lightning striking the river itself), we decided to cover things up and ride it out.

Big mistake.

About ten minutes later, the wind started blowing about 40-50 mph, and the rain came down fiercely. Our poor attempts to cover the food up saved a few things, but a lot of other stuff was lost. I managed to keep my head relatively dry with my severely tested umbrella, but the rest of me was soaked, especially the shoes. After a few minutes, I got brave enough to get out from under the tree and cross the open field (while holding a metal shaft umbrella, and with lightning striking all around) to get into my car.

Soaked again!

For those of you who don't already know, I got completely drenched two weeks ago during the Great Flood of DC... so this is starting to become a habit I need to break. At least it hasn't gotten me sick like it usually does... maybe taking a daily multivitamin is actually good for something.

You know what though? The ribs were worth it... lip smackin' good.