July 12, 2005 :: Everybody loves somebody sometimes

Apparently the old adage is true: there's somebody for everybody. I've recently been witness (sort-of) to two examples of this saying.

On my flight back from Boston on Sunday, I saw a quite interesting couple on the plane. The first thing I noticed about the two women was that they were deaf. As passengers found their seats, they were having an animated conversation in sign language. One of the women was white (blond, Scandinavian-looking white at that, albeit with a sort of tan), and the other was a sort-of unidentifiable ethnic that I could only vaguely guess as Brazilian. The second thing I noticed was that the ethnic woman had two different colored eyes... one was blue and one was brown. I have seen this before in people, although I see it more often in cats. I wasn't totally convinced she wasn't wearing a blue contact, though, because the blue was very intense, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't actually notice they were "together" until after we'd gotten off the plane at BWI, and I saw them holding hands and being intimate and generally violating each other's personal space in a way that I wouldn't tolerate from anyone with XY chromosomes. It was a genuine "things that make you go hmmm" moment... that's a niche of a niche of a niche pairing there, if I ever saw one.

The other thing that I noticed was quite a bit more ... well, dramatic. Spotted in a Craigslist posting:

Chocolate Beauty needed for dinner only 7/15 @ 5PM - m4w - 35

I need the company ONLY of a beautiful black sista for dinner. I am a lady who recently found out that her fiance has been chatting with women online. He recently made a date with one (me incognito). He does not suspect a thing. I will pay the right chocolate beauty to meet and have dinner only with him. I hope you can understand, woman to woman, that I just want to know BEFORE I marry this man. Please contact me with your information.

Now this is kinda sad, but also amusing at the same time. Apparently he's devious and sneaky enough to sneak behind her back and use the Internet to meet women, and she's sneaky and devious enough to try to set him up. If they don't belong together, who does? I think, however, the over-under on that marriage (if they even have one, which is a different bet altogether) is probably 18 months.

I did send her a note asking to find out how things turn out. I can't lie, I want to know the epilogue to that story.

Note: Thanks to uptown brown girl for the inspiration for this post.