October 18, 2004 :: Return of the party shirt

OK, I apologize, this post is about 12 months late.

I saw this trend coming. The first couple of times I saw guys wearing striped shirts around the middle of last fall, I knew they would be hot. By the time I could actually find some in the stores, it was the Christmas rush, and they were on sale almost everywhere. By spring, stripes of every type were everywhere. It was as if you could not buy a men's shirt unless it was striped... the old standby blue and white oxfords were shoved to the back of the shelf. The trend was in full force.

In fact, it was so easily identifiable as a trend that I had to stop wearing the few I had very much, and I surely wasn't going to buy any more. I still think that next year sometime, anybody caught wearing one will look quite passe. And so many of the designs are so loud and raucous that you can't really wear them as dress shirts to work, so they are only suited to the club. Hence..... party shirts.

I'm going to run a pool on the life expectancy of striped shirts.... right now, the over/under line is about March 2005. Any takers?