October 12, 2004 :: Lucky

This weekend, two small things happened to me (well, three things, really) that were remarkable only in being rare.

On Thursday night, I met a woman who said she was half-Ethiopian. She ended up giving me her phone number. On Saturday night, I met a woman who was 100% Ethiopian. She ended up giving me her phone number. You might find this unremarkable, but I was greatly surprised. You see, I've been batting somewhere around 0 for 637 with Ethi chicks ever since I started approaching women, many many years ago. Not once did I ever get anywhere with any of them. Is this a fluke occurrence, or the signal of some trend of increasing desirability on my part? Not sure... one would have been a fluke, two was cause for reflection.

On Sunday, going to a barbecue at a friend's house, I found a gold collar stay in a crack in the sidewalk. It exactly matched a gold collar stay I lost and for which I have been hunting in vain for weeks. Same length, same brand name. I decided it was the same one I lost, in which case it avoided all the magpies and bums around the Adams Morgan neighborhood for a good six weeks (a feat in itself), or else it just happened to be exactly like the one I lost. I was really happy about this, because I only had one pair in that size and it is the size I used the most.

So there is some luck trend going on here. Maybe I should play the lottery this week.