August 05, 2004 :: Misdialed? maybe.

The following is the full text of a voice mail I received this morning. I've edited out the "um"s and most of the "ok"s for clarity.

Listen, to whom it may concern there, I did not catch your name, I assume that you are affiliated with the Congressional Research Service, because for some reason it's difficult for the switchboards there to find the ombudsman's office. This is Mr. Huffmeister (703)xxx-xxxx and I have contacted David Christopher of course in human relations in the CRS, and with regard to the Library of Congress Mr. Jesse James, Jr., who may be in conference, and he's in the Office of General Counsel and presumably an ombudsman or someone to redress a grievance.

I must complain that in 1971 after leaving graduate school o f library sciences with a perfect grade record, I did apply for a position and internship in the LoC and with possib a permament employment there. They denied me; they had preselection, and I wish to protest that, to refer it to an ombudsman, and the CRS is of course related in that it performs a research service exactly for the LoC and perhaps a few other selected clients. The CRS does have area studies structures, among them Russian and also Middle Eastern. They are staffed with people capable of researching and people who are quoted in papers the Washington Post and the New York Times, and that's reflective of their research assignments. Some of them are published scholars, some are not. Possibly after serving in the LoC a better, more suited research position, I suggest this as a means of redressing or correcting a grievance that occurred at that time.

I find myself under investigation by the government at the same time, the Department of State, CIA, FBI, Department of Defense, even very wrongfully maybe the IRS, and I do urge you as an ombudsman. I contacted the Dept. of State ombudsman, I've pleaded with him to assign something. I have done the same with Mr. James, and the same with you, and the same with Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, that I contacted yesterday, that they look at my resume and qualifications as soon as possible. The same with the CIA which, because of its role in this investigation, has chosen to approach to me indirectly rather than respond to applications that I have made. The same would apply to the FBI which has initiated this harassment, which of course falls under the DOJ, John Ashcroft there, and pursuant to this call I am still in the process of desperately trying to find a lawyer who will file that injunction.

OK, please assign something, ok? I'm telling you that I need a job. Please get back to me, Charles Huffmeister (703)xxx-xxxx.


I think he had the wrong number, but I did get a call from Sen. Brownback's office once.