December 09, 2003 :: The ugly duckling

The following is a summarization of a conversation I had last night, standing outside in the cold:

her: I might have to get braids, because my hairdresser messed up my hair, and I have to wait for it to grow out.

me: Why not just cut it off low and be done with the hassle?

her: Because I don't want to look any uglier than I already am.

me: (thinking it's a sideways crack on my own bald pate, because she couldn't possibly mean what she said) Oh, so are you trying to crack on me?

her: No!

me: So what if your mother cut her hair off, would she be ugly?

her: No, she'd look good. It's fine on other people, just not on me.

me:

her: I'm already unattractive enough, I don't need to make it any worse!

me:

her: See, I don't even want to have this conversation.

me: I'm cold, so I'm going to go now.

her: So you don't want to talk to me any more.

me: No, I'm cold. I'm leaving.


Now.... mind you, this is a girl I met and went out with on a couple of dates. That means, presumably, that at some point I found her attractive, right? So why would she even allow those words to cross her lips? What kind of crisis of self-confidence could lead someone to that....

The worst part is, she apparently has no clue what a huge turnoff that was. She's not ugly, not at all, but saying things like that makes her extremely unattractive. I have no desire to be her therapist, and at age 30, she really ought to be handling these things on her own.

So, onward I go.