November 21, 2003 :: Too much, too soon

Apparently the recent indictments of Catholic priests for their various pedophilic indiscretions has led to a dearth of good confessionals. For some reason, recent female acquaintances seem to think I will make a good substitute. To wit:

I had a date a couple of weeks ago with a woman I met at a private party. We went to the movies; as a rule, never a good first date because it doesn't foster conversation, but it was her idea, and not saying no to a woman on her first date ideas is another rule. (Hmmm, **lightbulb**! maybe a list of these rules should be another post.) So there we were, at a movie of my choosing - "Kill Bill". I had been wanting to see it, but it turned out not to be such a great choice for a first date, either. It's long, slow, and extremely bloody (but not really gory, the blood is so fake as to be cartoonish). A real mood killer. So we drive back to her house, which was about 3 minutes up the road. While we are sitting in the car outsite, she explains to me that I can't come in because her mother, sister, and newborn niece are in there. We remain in the car, talking. The topic turns to children after she mentions that her sister and mother have been staying with her since the baby was born just a few weeks ago. Then she explains that she doesn't have any kids because she had an abortion in the middle of an 8 year relationship, and goes on in detail to talk about it. It took me by surprise, but then, I figured, maybe she just felt comfortable talking to me.

Haven't been able to get her to return a phone call since. I guess I was just a convenient confessional for the evening. oh well... moving right along.

I've been chitchatting with another girl online with whom I have a mutual friend in common. At least, that's what the girl online said. Anyway, during our first telephone conversation, she detailed how she was raped 2 years ago by a man whom she thought would never commit such an act. Now, understand... my opinion of her isn't changed by the fact that this atrocity happened to her, but I do have to wonder WHY she felt so comfortable telling me this so soon. For what its worth, our mutual friend told me to back away slowly, if not run wildly. She said the girl had major problems, maybe this is a sign of them.

I guess I should just hang a shingle out and charge folks by the hour.... or else ask for donations in the confessional basket.