May 19, 2005 :: Family review time

I'm in Seattle this week for a family wedding. Since my family is so spread out, and they (mostly) live so far away from me, I don't get to see a lot of them too often. Occasions like weddings provide opportunities for diasporate families like mine to get back together. They also provide opportunities for the older generation to check on the younger ones and see how they are doing.

As it happens, both of my brothers (on this side) are bringing their respective girlfriends to this wedding. This came as a surprise to me and everyone else, mostly because they didn't announce this until the last minute, and because both of them have these on-off relationships and aren't anywhere near getting married. Aside from the fact that both girlfriends are non-black (a not uncommon trend in my family), the elders will be delighted to see them. Of course, that will shine a glaring spotlight on me, because I didn't bring anyone.

Not for a shortage of people wanting to go, mind you, although I think almost all of those women just want to see Seattle and have little interest in my family. But the last time I let my mother meet a girlfriend at a wedding, it was a bit of a disaster. It was also completely beyond my control. Suffice it to say that we broke up a week later (although not because of anything that happened at the wedding) and my mother told me not to introduce her to anybody else unless she was staying around for the long haul. And since my mother hadn't met any other girlfriends since high school, I guess she means it. So, no, I didn't bring anybody home, and I'm not going to for some time to come.