May 12, 2005 :: Field of broken dreams

On Tuesday, I had a company softball game. This was our first game of the season. I played on last year's team, to some effect. Not horrible, not great. Our team was an expansion team that year, and although we struggled, it was enjoyable and fun.

This year, I suck.

For some reason, turning 30 had ill effect on what little athletic ability I had. I am now, without much doubt, the worst player on my team who isn't a girl, and there is even a girl better than me. Consequently, although the league is supposed to be about fun, the competitive instincts of our team and our manager, have led them to give me as little playing time as possible while still being "fair" (whatever "fair" means). I was stuck in right field for 3 innings, where I never saw a ball, and I only went to the plate once and struck out on two pitches. I even dragged myself to the gym afterwards, because that didn't even come close to being a workout.

Without practice (which we don't have) and playing time (which I won't get), I won't improve. I tried steroids (corticosteroids, but what's the difference?) to no avail. So I've considered dropping off the team. I don't like being a quitter, but I'm not sure there is anything else to do.

Then again, I can always hope that other players quit or get hurt and they have to play me. But who has that kind of patience?