April 12, 2005 :: The shady side of springtime

Spring is a time for rebirth. Trees and bushes and flowers bloom again (see below). Baby bugs hatch and crawl forth, buzzing around. Nature, which lies dormant for winter, bursts forth again with renewed vigor.

Apparently, this renewal extends to people long since gone from my life. In the past week, I've received online correspondence from two women who I thought were long gone. Both were part of my life when I lived in California (which means at least 2 1/2 years ago). One was rather benign; a local girl in whom I took an interest, until the day I decided to give her a foot massage, and when she took her shoes off, her feet were, um.... fragrant, to say the least... plus her legs were hairy. People who know me know that one of my few fetishes about women's appearance is depilation... (People who know me also call me the Seinfeld of dating, but that's a different post.) I don't care much if you wear makeup, or what kind of clothes you wear, as long as it all compliments you, but please PLEASE don't have more hair on your legs or under your armpits than I do! So I was quite turned off at that time, and things died out. She resurfaced last week, just to say hi... and she's moved up in the world a little, working now as a radio DJ on one of the hip-hop stations in Sacramento. Nice to hear from her, or at least harmless.

The other woman to contact me was a poisonous snake. I had a crush on her (from long distance), and she befriended me, abused my adoration in her, and then kicked me to the curb like a neckbone sucked dry. I would not care if she were to disappear from the earth forever. She came back, so she says, to hook me up with her administrative assistant at her job, because the girl needs a friend like me, and I was such a wonderful friend to her. Yeah, whatever.

So is it just a coincidence, or is there something about spring that makes people return? I wonder.