September 30, 2005 :: Going through it

Yes, I've been absent from posting for a while. I'm going to take the punk route out and blame my schedule. For those of you who don't know, I started a part-time MBA program at the University of Maryland this fall. It meets two nights a week, from 6:30 - 10:00 pm. So far, it hasn't been a HUGE amount of work, but the adjustment to my schedule has been the biggest issue. I have to get used to going back to school again, being in that scholastic mindset. I have to remember that time outside of work isn't mine to goof off as I see fit, but rather now I have HOMEWORK to do. Still, I had a certain swagger. I have been a grad student before, in a much more difficult program, so I figured this would be no sweat.

Then I walked into my accounting exam on Wednesday. For those of you who know some accounting, the exam required us to prepare a balance sheet, an income statement and a cash flow statement by the indirect method. Balance sheet, no problem. Income statement, seems right. 90% confident. Cash flow statement.... kept me in the exam room until I ran out of time. Try as I might, I could not get those numbers to add up right. It didn't help that the prof said during the lecture on the topic that plenty of people who graduated with degrees in accounting can't prepare indirect cash flow statements. It didn't help that we only spent 30 minutes of total lecture on the topic, in a course that is all of seven weeks. It SHO didn't help that lots of people turned in exams and walked out early, while I was still struggling. That had me shook. That used to be me, trying to see who could finish fastest. Broke my confidence. One of my math profs in college used to joke about students who just stayed in the exam room as long as possible, waiting for divine intervention to help them.

So now I realize I might have to buckle down a little bit harder. I might have to ask the prof for some extra credit, or something. I might have to go to office hours, although they are inconvenient as hell.

And yes, you might be seeing less of me on the blog, but I'm not dead. Just relearning how to be a student.